Things have been so batty over the course of the holiday I barely had any time to get in the kitchen, so I was quick to settle in on Sunday when I finally had some room to breathe.
I’m on that “eat healthy, be healthy” train that everyone else is (I mean, I’ve been, but now even moreso with the coming of a new year), so I wanted Sunday’s breakfast to be just right, a great kick-off to a new way of eating….and an apologetic meal for the two frozen pizzas, bag of tortilla chips and jar of salsa Boy and I consumed the night before.
When I started looking into the Paleo way of eating more seriously, I made sweet potatoes a norm – I hadn’t eaten a single one until about a year ago. I won’t lie, they aren’t my favorite, but this recipe makes them bearable. Take away the cheese and you’ve got a totally clean meal! (But less fun. Everything is always more fun with cheese.)
EGGS OVER SWEETIE
Oh my god, how about that name?! Literally just came up with that as I was typing. I digress…
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3-4 eggs
- Handful of shredded cheese of your choice (I used mozzarella)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Throw the cubed potatoes into a baking dish and add EVOO, salt, rosemary and thyme. Toss it all together until it’s evenly coated.
- Roast until the sweet potato is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
* NOTE: My oven is a finicky bitch. Your oven may take less time. I’d check 20 minutes in and stick them with a fork – if it slides in alright, you’re ready for the next step.
- Crack eggs over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle cheese on top. Return to the oven and bake until the egg whites are set, but the yolk is runny – about 15 minutes.